Location: Whiteley, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Business Placement Student
12 month internship – Starting Summer 2020
We are currently looking for a Business Placement Student based in Whiteley, Fareham, for a period of 12 months, beginning in June 2020. Laptop and phone for work purposes are provided, discretionary bonus and smart working is encouraged (on average 1 day per week worked from home).
Aquila is a joint venture owned by NATS and Thales.
The Service Delivery Group is responsible for the delivery of Aquila Services to support the Ministry of Defence (MoD) operations from over 100 sites across the globe including 22 major airbases, 18 other airfields and 12 weapons ranges. This is achieved through the provision of 15 Technical Services as required at each site. These encompass Communication, Navigation and Surveillance systems (CNS); Approach Aids; Training; Deployable Capabilities and other equipment needed to enable civil and military aircraft to operate safely in military terminal airspace with tactical freedom. Air Traffic Control services are also provided at 6 airfields.
The successful Business Placement candidate will sit within the Service Delivery function. They will provide support in reporting and assurance, and will be encouraged to use their initiative to challenge current processes where appropriate to assist with improvement.
Who We're Looking For
The position is open to ambitious students studying towards BSc or BA courses in relevant business or finance disciplines. Listed below are the key qualities we are looking for in a candidate:
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Proactive and flexible approach
* Good attention to detail
* Positive attitude
* Able to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team
* Proficient in the use of common office IT packages, such as Microsoft Word, Project, Powerpoint and especially intermediate processes in Excel (Vlookup, Pivot Tables etc.)
* Good numeracy skills are essential
In addition, you must have the Right to Work in the UK, and also be able to pass security clearance - please see the sections on SC and BPSS via the following link for more information: https://www.securityclearedjobs.com/staticpages/10287/get-security-cleared-/
Please also have a plan for how you would get to and from work if you were successful.
* To gain an understanding of the Aquila business & key business drivers
* To manage your own time effectively to achieve task & work package objectives
* Production of Monthly Management Reports, including the interpretation of data
* Support the development of reporting tools and analysis using dashboards
* Manage and/or monitor improvement activities to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the team
* Support the creation of business cases, working with the Finance team to model payback calculations
* Assist with the business planning process
* Deputise for the Business & Improvement Manager where appropriate
* Produce your own training and development plan to be agreed with your manager
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!