Location: Tubize, Belgium
Thales people architect solutions at the heart of the defence-security continuum. Interoperable and secure information and telecommunications systems for defence, security, and civil operators, are based upon innovative use of radiocommunications, networks, and cybersecurity. We are ground breaking new digital technologies such as 4G mobile communications, cryptography, cloud computing and big data for use in physical protection systems, and critical information systems.
Thales Belgium SA, Belgium competence center of Thales, is a company located on 2 sites, one in Tubize (near Brussels) and the other one in Herstal (near Liège). Thales Belgium, which employs more than 230 collaborators, is specialized in the design, development and supply of critical information systems for customers in the sectors of Defense, Security (including Cyber), Transport and Aerospace.
For its activities, Thales Belgium SA (Tubize site) is looking for a
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
(EN + FR/NL)
You will develop complex embedded software/solution (mainly Linux-based) for our customers in Defense, Security and Aerospace domains.
You will work on projects which can be very different in nature, usually with strong regulatory requirements (AS9115 standard for avionics, Common Criteria for security…)
- As a senior member of the team, you bring strong expertise and leadership across the whole development cycle, playing a key role in delivering the best solution taking into account all stakeholders’ perspectives (customer, engineering, QA, business, supply chain…);
- You analyze and transform requirements into optimal technical design, in accordance with state-of-the-art best practices;
- You develop and unit test work packages in C/C++;
- You participate, and possibly lead, peer reviews;
- You participate, when needed, in higher-level testing (integration, verification, validation);
- You establish and maintain working relationships with the hardware department, QA, domain experts, IVVQ, subcontractors…;
- You actively help the Head of Software defining the technological and organizational orientations for the department, and play a key role in the technology watch process (identify, evaluate and recommend new technologies/processes/tools);
- You represent Thales Belgium towards customers and other corporate entities for technical matters.
You will report to Thales Belgium’s Head of Software.
- Master’s degree in Electronics or Software Engineering (8+ years of experience);
- Solid and proven experience in embedded software development on Linux platform, in C/C++ (Linux configuration, board support packages, boot loaders, kernel, drivers and application development…);
- Experience with concurrent, multi-threaded programming, and ideally distributed systems as well;
- You know software engineering fundamentals and best practices (Agile, OO, SOLID principles, design patterns, unit testing/mocks…) and apply them;
- Knowledge of embedded software tools used by Thales (Yocto, Meson, Clang, GCC, QEMU, SONARQUBE, Git, Bitbucket, Jenkins…);
- Not mandatory knowledge, but a definite plus :
- UML and MBSE;
- Network protocols (IP v4/v6, TCP/UDP, DHCP, NTP, ICMP, IPSec, 802.1 family…);
- Security (TPM 2, secure boot, Linux hardening, secure by design…);
- ARM platforms (STM32, i.MX);
- Buses (I2C, SPI, PCIe…);
- Audio/Video (codecs, processing, formats…);
- You are in line with our philosophy of maximizing reuse (open-source or commercial off-the-shelf components, design for reuse, standardize documents, tools…);
- Proactive and autonomous, you like to take the initiative, and feel ready to lead a team and/or development;
- Strong interest in software quality and excellence, yet pragmatic;
- Curious, eager to learn and develop yourself, you like innovation and thinking outside the box;
- Full professional proficiency in English. French and/or Dutch is a plus.
If you are looking for:
- The solidity of a large Group
- The agility of a human-sized structure
- A company which is at the forefront of innovation
- An environment that fosters personal development of all collaborators and offers opportunities for evolution within an international group;
If you defend values such as company spirit, sense of responsibility, ethics, creativity and teamwork;
Thales Belgium can be your partner.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!