Location: Templecombe, United Kingdom
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
To provide the principle supply chain engineering leadership across Thales UK – MMS, ensuring technical delivery through the Maritime Eco System. As a key member of the Ecosystem Transformation Team the role is to establish and deliver best practise for outsourcing and transferring risk into the supply chain. This role requires the successful candidate to provide engineering supply chain direction, decision authority and support to a wide range of projects within the Maritime domain.
This role includes significant Management responsibility for driving Engineering Supply Chain strategy, decisions and delivery across a complex multi-disciplinary teams working on a diverse range of Maritime Projects.
The successful candidate will capture full technical and commercial requirements to enable successful collaborative working. They will also provide knowledge and experience as a strategic advisor to support and enable the engineering team to adopt to the new ways of working, whilst connecting into other engineering transformation work.
The role provides the successful candidate with the opportunity to develop your engineering experience within the supply chain, whilst using your engineering skills working on a variety of products within an interesting product line. This role is likely to involve travel to suppliers in the UK and potentially overseas.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
This role provides the engineering knowledge into the team which is essential to the success of the ecosystem’s collaborative approach. It will create processes and develop this capability within the business. The list below is not exhaustive nor will individuals be expected to be able to undertake all of them. They are given as a guide as to the expected duties of the grade.
- Undertake supply chain risk analysis and determine how best to outsource and transfer risk into the supply chain by contracting for outcomes rather than inputs
- Carry out internal and external capability analysis
- Create best practise requirements, articulate the procedure and process, embedding it into engineering as the new way of working
- Act as a strategic advisor to drive the engineering approach through a strategic mind-set
- Identify and maintain link with other engineering transformation programmes
- Capture design, manufacture and all wider business requirements for the identified work packages
- Work closely with engineering to define requirements at the suitable level and in suitable time
- Work with Strategic Procurement Lead to brief suppliers and partners
- Defining and delivering the strategy, plan and implementation of the overall MMS Engineering Supply Chain.
- Directing and providing overall technical and engineering leadership to the MMS Projects assigned to deliver the Engineering solution to time, cost and quality.
- Managing engineering baseline management
- Effective Monitoring of all the Engineering Suppliers and resolution or process improvement undertaken where issues are identified both internally and externally.
- Ensuring the Suppliers understand and deliver
- Each Supplier has a clear and timely process for resolution of Engineering queries and issues including Escalation
- Each Supplier has Engineering Metrics ensuring On-time Delivery
- Timely and accurate production of the Requirements for the System and Subsystems they are delivering and ensuring that sell-off & IVVQ of the requirements is planned, documented and achieved in a progressive and low risk manner.
- Ensuring that the Suppliers Design and other Technical Certification is co-ordinated, complete and coherent with the delivered and installed base and can be provided to the MMS projects as commited
- Leading the interfacing with the Engineering teams of the client and other external Engineering parties to ensure that the integration and migration of the overall Engineering solution within its infrastructure and associated projects is achieved
- Ensuring that approval through own and appropriatly delegated authority for all Engineering documentation and deliverables including specifications, designs, reports, analysis, code and equipment can be achieved and that all designs developed by the project have been:
- produced by competent designers and subject to competent design check and approval
- Are free from errors and design defects and flaws
- Supporting the Programme Director in the management of change, variation, risk and opportunity, recovery and acceleration as it affects the delivery of the Engineering solution.
- Overseeing the development of cost and time estimates for project activities to meet business and customer objectives.
- Leading and implementing agreed change and stimulating innovation into the project to improve overall out-turn.
- Validate the engineering delivery progress and support the accurate measurement of progress on the project.
- Participating with other members of the Programme or bid senior management team to ensure that the Programme or bid meets its business and customer objectives.
- Ensuring that any Corrective Actions and Observations related to the engineering delivery and solution are closed in a timely and complete manner.
- Working with the Engineering Functional Teams to ensure that the Programme’s Engineering team are competent, developed to their full potential, mobilised and released in a timely and planned manner.
- Supporting and assisting the Engineering Functional Teams to strengthen the businesses engineering capabilities and competencies.
Skills and Experience:
- Extensive multidisciplinary Engineering expertise, with specific knowledge of the domain, infrastructure, Systems Integration practices and the disciplines utilised on the project.
- Ability to develop innovative and low risk practical engineering strategies to manage a complex project through its lifecycle.
- Strong knowledge and proven application of Engineering Project Delivery and processes across the full project lifecycle.
- Team leadership – with a proven ability to build and sustain good working relationships with staff, peers and managers, customers and stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills supporting logical, effective and timely decision making.
- Strong appreciation of Safety and Safety Assurance within the Engineering discipline and Domain.
- Familiarity with Project management and delivery processes and practices, commercial acumen and a robust approach to budget and schedule control.
- Effective personal organisation and an ability to remain composed focused with attention to detail under pressure.
- Can manage a complex project through a defined design process and is able to tailor Corporate Processes to project needs.
- The post holder should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate at all levels in the spoken and written word. A professional competent outward appearance, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure are vital.
- Understanding of Export Compliance (ITAR and worldwide)
- Major procurement in highly regulated industry
- Capturing design, build and other business requirements through a systems engineering approach
- Complex contract management and managing transfer of technical risk
- Decompose requirements, spec and specify how to verify designs
- Commercial acumen, with consideration of full business opportunities and risks
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!