Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together, we are shaping the world around us to build the future – here and now! Our experts’ competences and cultural backgrounds are unique in their diversity. Today, they develop solutions for the data-based, autonomous and immersive world of tomorrow – from autonomous vehicle control systems to collaborative combat systems, from interconnected cockpits to safe clouds and cyber-secure communication, from self-learning radar systems to virtual reality solutions for training and predictive maintenance. Passion for innovations and cutting-edge technologies is our motivation.
As a recognised part of the German high-tech industry, we develop tomorrow's key technologies today. We offer innovative, highly secure, robust and highly available communication, information and control systems as well as services for safe land, air and maritime traffic, for civil and military safety and protection requirements, and in the field of digital identity and cyber security. Furthermore, we develop and manufacture satellite components for national programmes and for the global market.
Whether on the ground or in space: Together with Thales Alenia Space we make important contributions to international space programmes like Galileo or ExoMars. On board of thousands of satellites, more than 18,000 travelling wave tubes enable a reliable transmission of mission critical data for navigation and for earth or climate monitoring.
Thales Deutschland with its headquarters in Ditzingen has about 3,800 employees at 11 locations with their own production and development.
Senior Firmware Engineer (m/f/d) (Ref.Nr. R0080797)
in the space division at our headquarters in Ditzingen near Stuttgart
You will enjoy having this responsibility:
We are currently looking for a Firmware Engineer to support our Kineis team within Thales Alenia Space Deutschland. The Firmware Engineer will be involved in developing the signal processing within a new Payload for space-based IoT applications where a deep understanding of involved HW- and Firmware-technologies as well as the interfaces to the software processing is required.
It also involves the following tasks:
- Understanding of payload requirements and performances
- Define the RF/signal processing/algorithms, specify the firmware, the interfaces between HW and FW incl. low level drivers, and the verification concept.
- Timing analysis
- Use of ISE tools for VHDL-implementation, targeting Xilinx FPGA devices
- Functional and performance testing, debugging of FPGA firmware on target hardware board
- Support to the development of an in-the-field test bed
- Application of development, verification and configuration control processes
- Work-planning aligned with the payload development, project-specific reporting
- Support in technical proposals and hardware system design
- Degree in Electronics (preferably RF and digital electronics), or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in industry of designing and architecting firmware systems
- Strong FPGA tools knowledge including timing closure for FPGAs
- Familiar with Vivado, Mentor Modelsim, MATLAB HDL Coder
- Familiar with Xilinx FPGA and SoC devices like Zynq Ultrascale+ including 3rd party IP
- Knowledge of High Speed Serial interfaces such as PCIe, Aurora, JESD204B
- Knowledge of on-chip bus AMBA AXI
- Knowledge in Git Workflow
- Knowledge of bench testing and hardware debugging
- Ability to optimise RF signal processing algorithms for limited FPGA resources
- Application knowledge in communications, high speed data transfer and signal processing
- Experience with software defined radio architectures is a benefit
- Knowledge of hardware / RF electronics is a benefit
- Good team spirit and ability to work in an international environment
- Systematic approach to analyse customer requirements and to establish customer solutions
- Ability to co-ordinate and instruct a small team of firmware and software developers
- Fluent in German and English essential (written technical reports and spoken)
As a global player with projects all over the world, Thales is looking for candidates from different backgrounds and with different careers, because it’s the sheer diversity of our innovative and creative teams that drives our success – and that’s why this is also a key aspect of our personnel selection process.
Do you want to hear more about this position? The Talent Acquisition Team looks forward to hearing from you:
Tel.: +49 (0)7156 353 32780
You can find more information about Thales as an employer at https://www.thalesgroup.com/de/career/thales-erleben
What we offer you:
We understand the needs and interests of all people at Thales. The personal and professional development as well as the advancement of teams are very important to us and we invest a lot. We offer a wide portfolio of training opportunities. We honour accomplishments and provide an attractive compensation policy.
An open dialogue and transparency are actively practised and demonstrated. We actively promote diversity, create the necessary framework conditions and commit to a resolute support for all forms of diversity. We are convinced that mixed teams get the best results and that equal opportunities are a matter of course. For our exemplary dedication in terms of a personnel management based on equal opportunities we were given the TOTAL E-QUALITY award. Special programmes promote diversity and inclusion as well as compatibility of family and career. We assist our employees with the balancing act between private life and the exciting challenges at Thales.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!