Location: Singapore, Singapore
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily.
Thales in Singapore has been present since 1973, providing state-of-the-art solutions for customers in the aerospace, defence, security and transportation markets. Today, Thales in Singapore employs over 600 people and is home to all regional avionics services, a ground transportation integration centre, and regional innovation hub.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Provides technical & engineering leadership on bids and projects;
- Leads his/her team in performing all engineering activities with a Lean engineering mindset and methodologies (in particular pulled flow, set-based design, Kanban / limited WIP, Kaizen, and Obeya), and implementing co-engineering wherever appropriate;
- Builds the overall solution strategy after understanding the solution’s needs;
- Ensures System Engineering activity management within constraints provided by approved architecture and design policy;
- Secures the engineering scope, plans and coordinates the whole system engineering activities within the constraints provided by the agreed architecture and design policy in order to satisfy customer requirements and ensures global development consistency;
- Defines the engineering’s PBS, WBS, OBS and associated tasks, tailors development process and ensures achievement of the development baselines (functional, allocated and product);
- Defines the Product Reuse Strategy, contributes to Product Line Development Strategy and updates the bid/project by proposing upgrades thanks to product enhancements;
- Manages Risks & Opportunities of design and development during bid phase, guarantees programme commitments, including those flown down to subcontractors and partners;
- Optimises technical work against costs, schedule and risks from design to validation and acceptance of the solution;
- Implements the decisions and actions coming from the Complexity Profiler analysis;
- Defines and tailors the engineering environment suitable for the Bid or the Project;
- Understands the engineering requirements for relevant bid/projects and schedule,and allocate Work Packages to relevant engineering employees for completion, and provides the Statements of Works for all internal and external subcontractors;
- Monitors and coordinates technical and engineering activities are to carried out in accordance with contract and company quality system requirements;
- Supports the implementation of reviews to ensure review objectives are met;
- Provide technical & engineering leadership on bids and projects.
- Provides technical input for Business Development activities in the Security, Transport and Defence market through participation in customer meetings and workshops and identifying business opportunities;
- Liaises with the Sales and Bid management teams in the preparation of proposals, and directly with client representatives in determining their requirements;
- Participates in bids (or changes/evolutions of a project) by leading the development of the technical solution for Security, Transport and Defence opportunities and providing estimates for the solution;
- Leads the technical activities on projects by providing leadership on the development of the technical solution, planning, implementation and rollout of the solution;
- Provides direction in priority and resourcing needs for engineering support activities on bids and projects;
- Acts as the technical interface on technical issues with customers responding to queries and providing technical solutions;
- Provides the leadership of the change control board, making informed decisions on changes and management of the entire development environment;
- Provides metrics and analysis on progress of systems engineering activities (Obeya);
- Ensures all designs are approved by the Design Authority;
- Produces technical reports as required by the Bid or Project Manager;
- Capitalises lessons learned and relevant project data and metrics;
- Effective Manages people management effectively, including participation in the professional development of technical employees in line with the business strategy;
- Manages the skills and competencies of people on his team – including himself – in particular in view of requirements of an Authorised Engineering Organisation according to Competency Management Policies.
The Systems Engineering Manager also contributes to the following activities:
- Assure the RAM, Safety and Security (as appropriate for the domain / project / bids), providing input into defining and implementing RAM & Safety assurance and making sure that the RAM, Safety and Security assurance activities are conducted;
- Prepare production: Manage the availability of production equipment and tooling, develop the processes, adapt or procure the production and test equipment and tools;
- Participate in the production’s first article inspection (FAI) and the Internal Product acceptance
- Prepare the delivery of Customer Services: validate the objectives of the Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Testability studies, perform Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Testability (RAMT) studies, prepare the operations of the system;
- Manage the configuration of the system: create and approve baselines, perform configuration audits.
The Systems Engineering Manager may be asked to assume the following Roles: IVVQ Manager, Service Engineering Manager, Configuration Manager.
- Tertiary qualification in Computer Science, Information Technology, Electronics Engineering or related discipline (essential)
- Higher degree qualifications are desirable.
- Demonstrated engineering competencies required for qualification to INCOSE ESEP (or equivalent, CSEP as a very minimum) are highly desirable
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a Senior Engineering role
- Experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in managing multiple small projects simultaneously
- Strong oral and written communications & liaison skills.
- Membership of relevant professional organisation, e.g. INCOSE, Institution of Engineers Singapore, etc.
- Experience in a project management or a systems delivery management role.
- Experience working on Transportation projects
- Experience working within a Systems Engineering lifecycle
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!