Acteur spatial mondialement reconnu dans les domaines des télécommunications, de la navigation, de l’observation de la terre, de l’exploration et de la réalisation d’infrastructures orbitales, Thales Alenia Space est une Joint-Venture entre les groupes Thales (67%) et Leonardo (33%).
The “Data Handling, Command & Control and Systems Modelling” unit belongs to the “Avionics & Electrical
Engineering” department in the Competence Center Platform and Integration – Italy.
We are responsible for the definition of the operational concept of the Spacecraft and for the data systems including communication and processing. We contribute to the entire lifecycle of the products from initial conceiving and feasibility studies, preparation of proposals, design and implementation up to the operations and maintenance. More in detail we perform the following activities:
- Ground to Space interface definition in terms of CCSDS and ECSS protocol stack tailoring (including Packet Utilization Standard)
- Preparation of the Command & Control requirements, including definition of the and on-board data bus and communication links;
- Data Handling budget preparation
- Avionics specification and design
- Definition of the Failure Detection, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR) strategy
- Data Handling Hardware specification, including OBC and RTUs
- On Board SW specification
- HW/SW integration and Avionics V&V activities
- Provide support to LEOP, IOT and operational phases
- Related R&D activities
For this department we are looking for: Data Handling Engineer
About the job
The job holder will be in charge of contributing to the different phases of the lifecycle of the Data Handling System (DHS) of the Spacecraft, starting from requirements of the DHS to design definition. This also includes the FDIR of the Spacecraft. Lower level requirements are expected to be prepared as well (in particular to HW and SW entities which are part of the Data Handling) and technical monitoring of internally procured items will be performed. Organization and execution of Technical reviews I also included, both internally to the company and with external entities. Change management process will be mastered too.
The proposed job also includes the design, implementation and execution of test cases at Avionic Test Bench and possibly at Satellite level, and documentation of V&V activities in VCD. It is expected that support to satellite launch phase may be also performed, including simulations, LEOP and IOT.
Starting from System Level Documentation or Avionics Level Documentation, the most relevant deliverable items expected to be prepared in the scope of the proposed activity are reported here below:
- C&C Specification and Interface Requirements for Platform and Payloads
- Spacecraft Specific PUS
- Spacecraft DH, Software & Memory Budgets
- Spacecraft level DVCM preparation for DH and C&C related requirements and performances, including related Reviews and Analyses report.
- On Board SW Matrix
- SMU, RT and OBSW Specification
This request is for a permanent position.
The working site is Rome, but it might be required working in other locations for short mid-term periods (e.g. attendance to external test facilities or activities in customer or subcontractors premises)
Short periods of 24h shift working across the full week might be required upon specific program needs.
Education and experience
You have a Master Degree in Electronic Engineering or Computer Science.
You are fluent in English (C1 and above certification) both listening and reading.
You have at least 5 years of experience in similar job.
Skills and knowledge
It is highly preferred a knowledge in cutting-edge technologies like multicore processors (LEON4/GR740), time/space partitioning operating systems and hypervisors (XTRATUM/PikeOS), CFDP protocol, CAN bus (CAN-OPEN protocol). Also required is knowledge in the following areas:
- CCSDS/ECSS telemetry and telecommand standards (synchronization and channel coding, data link)
- ECSS Packet Utilization Standard (PUS)
- SW development standards: ECSS E-40/Q-80
- Data Handling Hardware (On Board Computer, Remote Terminal Unit, GNSS receiver, microprocessors)
- 1553, Spacewire, CAN open
- SW or hybrid (HW/SW) simulators
- Data compression and encryption
- Orchestra Suite (PV:: & Doors at least)
- Customer focused, proactive attitude
- Organized and methodical approach to the work with strong communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time, to work autonomously and in team
- Strong attitude to achieve results within time and cost constraints
- Problem solving attitude
Innovation, passion, ambition : rejoignez Thales et créez le monde de demain, dès aujourd’hui.