Location: Madrid, Spain
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Thales in Spain is a leader in technological solutions applied to Defence, Aeronautics, Security, Transportation and Space and, furthermore, is a global centre for excellence in Space, Security of Critical Infrastructures and Transportation. With a turnover of €320 million and a staff of 1,200, it exports approximately 40% of its total production principally to the Middle East, North Africa and Latin America.
Drawing on more than 40 years of experience and an unrivalled combination of skills, expertise and cultures, Thales Alenia Space designs and delivers innovative solutions for space-based communications, navigation, Earth observation, environmental management, exploration, science and orbital infrastructures. Governments and private industry alike count on Thales Alenia Space to design, build and deliver satellite systems that cover the full spectrum of applications: locate and connect people and objects around the world; observe our planet, make optimum use of the Earth’s resources and explore the Solar System… and more. Thales Alenia Space firmly believes that space expands people’s horizons to build a better and more sustainable life on Earth. Thales Alenia Space is a joint company between Thales (67%) and Leonardo (33%) and along with Telespazio forms the Space Alliance, enabling it to provide a complete range of products and services. Thales Alenia Space recorded sales of about 2.4 billion Euros in 2016 and has 7,980 employees in nine countries. www.thalesaleniaspace.com
We are looking for a Test Means Software Engineer based in Madrid for a 1-year fixed term contract.
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Position Summary – Key responsibilities and main tasks
The successful candidate will work in an innovative environment and will participate in international and R&D projects as software test means engineer, leading the technical effort for electrical testing and verification of spacecraft instruments, equipment and sub-systems built by TAS-E. He/she will work closely with hardware test means team during the complete development lifecycle of Special Test Equipment (STE) and Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE).
The tasks will include:
• Technical responsibility of test means: design, develop, troubleshoot and maintain test software scripts, libraries, drivers and processing tools that verify instrument functionality and performance
• Follow and derive functional and technical specifications and standards, solve hardware/software interface problems, define input/output parameters and ensure integration of the entire UUT.C/C++ SW development for the in-house developed test & automation platform
• Test bench integration and validation
• Test validation and follow up in a cleanroom or lab and environmental test facilities,
• Participate in project and engineering reviews and preparation of the associated project documentation in English
• Take the leadership of its own software activities on cost, schedule and quality, during all phases of the testing campaigns, from initial turn on with specs through delivery and maintenance.
• Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware/software problems in the test bench, also contributing to problem/failure investigations involving the UUT
• Travel may be required (0-5 times a year), mainly within UE
Education & Qualifications
Degree in computer engineering, computer science, telecommunication engineering, aerospace engineering or other similar technical discipline. Advanced degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience would be a plus.
Skills and ideal experience
• Three (3) or more years of experience in C/C++ software development, object oriented programming and integration, mainly for Windows.
• Strong knowledge in SW development cycle and tools, with focus on developing maintainable code
• Three (3) or more years of experience in automatic test means for electronic units and test equipment for measurement and control
• Three (3) or more years of experience in control bus and communications protocols such as GPIB, USB, I2CSpaceWire, CAN, 1553, WzL
• Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
• The following skills and experiences will be considered as an added assert:
o RF test and measurement at different bands
o Ability to derive specification for test equipment based on system requirements, follow and develop test plans and approaches to support development, support technical reviews and present results to internal and external customers
o Java, GUI-design, Python or other scripting languages
o Unit, integration, and regression testing
• Languages: English essential, Spanish and French are a plus.
• Responsible, with a customer-, solution- and objective-oriented mindset
• Thorough, agile, organized, capable of self-criticism and constant improvement
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
• Capable of working effectively both independently and in teams, with a focus on performing through teamwork
• Willing to face challenges and to propose or learn new solutions or new technologies
• Works effectively in an international and multi-cultural environment.
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal relationship skills, as he/she will work closely with the customer and EGSE end users
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!