Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
- To lead and manage an Industrial cell within OME (Optronics and Missile Electronics) Glasgow to achieve adherence to schedule within cost parameters established in the operating plan/budget, whilst achieving a quality standard that will meet or exceed the customer’s specifications.
Principal accountabilities and key responsibilities:
- To achieve the Master Production Schedule (contained within the ERP) for all Production and support activities within the cell. This must be achieved within the cost parameters defined in operating plan or project EAC(within the Industrial work-package).
- Accountable for all HSE activities within the cell - this will include the establishing and maintaining all area risk assessments, control of Personal Protection Equipment and the training and heath surveillance of all staff. Maintenance of a safe and secure operating environment is the primary importance.
- Full accountability for the recurring Unit Production Costs of the products within the cell. Continually monitor cost performance and implement remedial action plans when performance is above target.
- Ensure labour allocation and physical resources are available, optimised and maintained to deliver the Master Production Schedule within budget and cost constraints.
- Develop, motivate and maintain an effective work team built on mutual trust and open communication which is continually focused on the customer and working with a continuous improvement ethos.
- Ensure all production activities are carried out in accordance with customer and company procedures (Chorus 2.0).
- Plan, implement and control production operating plans / targets and ensure adequate timely management/team reporting of same.
- Achieve the optimum levels of work-in-progress by effective shop floor daily scheduling and management through the application of appropriate Lean techniques and principles eg CLPF/one piece flow.
- Manage Material Review Board so corrective and preventive action is in place enabling achievement of the Master Production Schedule.
- Provide first line response to all human resourcing/people matters. Prepare and implement appropriate personal development/training plans for each member of the team to enable them to fully contribute to the team performance and to ensure the correct skills are in place to deliver the company’s current and future plans.
- Accountable for the integrity of information fed into the manufacturing management system.
- Establish a safe environment where staff feel valued and will both identify improvement opportunities and openly contribute to the implementation of improvements in the function.
- A demonstrated ability as a leader, with good team leading/developing skills and an ability to work effectively with staff in a range of functions and at all levels within the business.
- A track record of planning and implementing change and making efficiency improvements utilising appropriate Lean tools.
- Possessing excellent communication skills and the ability to create an open environment where information and ideas can be shared.
- Credible and mature, with a strong work ethic. A good level of understanding of ERP/PLM system principles and required disciplines.
- Open minded and receptive to change.
- Ability to work independently and manage team time effectively.
- An experienced individual with a background within Industry and people management as well as an appreciation of the wide variety of activities carried out within a manufacturing environment.
- Operational Financial awareness, including operational budgets and factory cost modelling
- Experience in continuous improvement, problem solving and change management in an industrial environment.
- Experience/understanding of total supply chain disciplines (Manufacturing Engineering, Planning, Procurement, Manufacturing, Delivery, Supplier Quality Assurance, Logistic/Delivery)
- An understanding of best practice MRP/ERP and other industrial toolsets
- Experience in people management role in an industrial organisation.
- Experience within world-class similar industrial activity utilising Industry4.0/Digital techniques
- Production cost control
- Evidence of production risk mitigation safeguarding immediacy of supply within a product and service based business
- Degree level qualification in a relevant Industrial/Engineering discipline or equivalent
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!