Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Thales UK has a fantastic opportunity to recruit a Senior Project Manager/Programme Manager join our world leading Optronics Team based in Glasgow. This year presents an exciting year for our Land and Air Systems business domain with a real diverse product line as well as an excellent projected year for order intake. Taking a lead role on a high profile, multi-faceted, and multi-million pound project this will pose as an excellent opportunity to lead a team and the programme from the advanced work stages. This will require an experienced individual with an excellent track record applying Project Management principles to large, complex programmes.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
This is a senior role in which you will be tasked to take the lead role over a large programme of works with multiple packages of engineering and service solutions. The role will require the ability to ensure effective liaison across the range of projects to ensure the best practice is being applied and that the project management capability strengths and weaknesses are identified and managed. This will involve providing coaching and direct support to less experienced and less capable project managers.
It requires professional project management capabilities (that are founded on significant experience of managing complex projects) to be applied - giving rigour to change control, commercial awareness and stakeholder management. Typical activities that will ensure the successful delivery of complex projects include:
- Deliver the key results and performance metrics the projects, including order intake, sales, gross margin and cash.
- Creation of the initial Project Plan during the bid or “Demand” phase of the lifecycle through requirement capture, work definition, estimating and scheduling that will include all Milestones, activities, resources and any other feature that will require to be delivered.
- Project Governance (the Gate and Stage Processes) over the bid and project delivery activities to ensure project, technical, procurement and support processes are applied and are effective in controlling risks.
- Ensure all business planning and reporting is published in accordance with Business directives e.g. Project Management reviews (PMR), Business Operations Report (BOR) and On Time Delivery (OTD).
- Drive Quality, Cost & Delivery performance through close working with other functions.
- Manage all project stakeholders; ensuring strong communications are established and maintained.
- Ensure that members of the project team are actively managing Risk and Opportunities, and have a robust Project Management Plan.
- Ensure “Lessons Learned Management” is applied to all projects, entailing application of lessons from other projects, and capturing lessons learned on specific projects under your control.
Skills, Experience & Behaviours:
Thales is a growing company and we are looking for exceptional people with positive, can do attitudes, to join our challenging journey providing engineering and service solutions to a diverse range of customers. Here are some of the key skills, experience and attributes we are looking for in our next Senior Project Manager:
- Excellent, professional project management skills with experience working ideally on project in excess of £50M in value
- The ability to directly successfully manage project teams (including the coaching of project managers).
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to deal with customers, partners, suppliers and other parts of the business (stakeholder management skills).
- Full business lifecycle management, including capture, qualification and developing capture plans and winning strategies.
- Experience of working across boundaries, including knowledge of commercial management, best practice supply chain and finance functions.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills with written presentation and report writing skills.
- Strong, organisational, managerial and team working skills.
- A positive attitude combined with excellent interpersonal and motivational skills.
This role will require SC Clearance. If not currently held it is expected that the post holder will undergo SC Clearance, please visit the UKSV website for further guidance.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!