Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of Job
Responsible for defining and implementing Configuration Management activities for a project and/or product at all points in the lifecycle including Bid, Design/Development, Production and Service Support. The role requires wide experience of configuration management principles and processes supporting project and/or product specific planning, implementation and improvement activities. The Configuration Manager will provide leadership to any Configuration Management Team established within a project and/or product team.
The Configuration Manager shall ensure the consistent application of the principles of configuration Management, as defined by Chorus 2.0, across the project and/or product, from bid through to the in-service support and disposal phase. In particular the Configuration Manager shall ensure:
- Performance of project CM Planning and production of the CM Plan
- Implementation of the planned CM system and the establishment of key reference baselines
- Identification of risks to projects and their mitigation
- Identification, definition and deployment of process improvements within projects, the business and the promotion of improvements to UK / Group
The jobholder will have to typically interact with:
- Senior Project / Programme and Engineering Management
- Project Management Office
- Engineering Team
- Entity / Domain / Business Unit Configuration and Data Management Leads
- Functional Leads and Teams
The nature of the work demands strong commitment process delivery, improvement and governance as well as strong management leadership, communication & influencing skills.
Key Tasks And Accountabilities
- Performs CM planning for new and existing projects, defining an effective tailored CM Implementation
- Supports the identification of contract/subcontract requirements to ensure effective CM performance of partners and suppliers
- Creates, maintains and implements the CM Plan in accordance with Chorus 2.0 and contractual/tender requirements
- Establishes, maintains and manages a CM effort estimate
- Deploys and ensures correct usage of the CM tools
- Specifies, maintains and ensures compliance of CM Contractor and Supplier requirements
- Audits & Assesses Contractors and Suppliers to ensure CM processes, systems and deliverables meet requirements
- Ensuring the correct definition of the product and it's defining data
- Participates in the design / stage reviews (PDR, CDR…)
- Responsible for the establishment & maintenance of configuration baselines (FBL, ABL, PBL)
- Participates in the selection of configuration items and subsequent product breakdown structures and Bills of Materials.
- Establishes and maintains the configuration change management system, including internal and external CCBs and performs the Configuration Control Board (CCB) Secretary role
- Co-ordinates and controls the configuration change process for design change including item change, document change, deviations and waivers, concessions and trail modifications
- Ensures design change is traceable throughout design and implementation
- Establishes, maintains and releases the CSAR used to describe the configuration management phases and milestone achievement to track design evolution and implementation
- Captures, verifies and controls ‘as built’, ‘as installed’, ‘as tested’ and ‘as maintained’ configuration information
- Plans and conducts configuration verifications and configuration audits (PCA & FCA)
- Provides support to the Organisation Configuration Manager to identify, develop and deploy improvements to the CM Process
- Performs CM team task delegation and performance management (if applicable)
- Reports on CM Key Performance Indicators
- Experience of working and implementing Configuration Management within a Defence and/or Commercial environment, including the alignment to the appropriate standards (in particular Def Stan 05-57 and EIA-649)
- Track record of delivering effective Configuration Management for large projects, across the complete product lifecycle (concept through to support) within a complex business environment
- Experience of both System / Hardware and Software Configuration Management processes
- Experience of producing and delivering training material for both process and tool usage
- Knowledge of the System/Product Lifecycles (for System, Application, HW, SW, FW)
- Experience of Product Lifecycle Management tools
- Experience of Software Configuration Management (Version and Change Control)
- Experience of Data and Document tools
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!