Location: Firenze, Italy
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily.
Sesto Fiorentino is the Headquarter of Thales Italia. It hosts two Domains: Ground Transportation Systems (GTS) and Security (SIX). The activity of GTS domain: Security systems, telecommunications, supervision, control & management information and signalling solutions for trains, trams and metros Regarding railway solutions, Thales is the homologated supplier of Rete Ferroviaria Italiana for Axel Counters, Tunnel Security, Energy Saving, SCADA systems and Asset Management. Italy is Thales Group’s competence centre for tramway signalling solutions. The activity of SIX domain: mission critical solutions and applications for assets and citizens security (supervision, control and information management systems) as well as cybersecurity. Thales offers solutions to protect the information systems and critical data of its civilian and military customers and helps its customers to detect and prevent cyberattacks by devising secure architectures from the design stage, overseeing these architectures and ensures that they are kept in secure working order. Italy is Thales Group’s competence centre for Airport security and operations management solutions.
The Software Engineer at Thales designs, tests and evaluates computer software applications. He/she must oversee the work of several software engineers in the R&D department.
● Analyze, design, coordinate and supervise the development of software systems to form a basis for the solution of information processing problems.
● Analyze system specifications and translate system requirements into software design and requirements.
● Coordinate development teams assigning design, development and software test tasks to team members.
● Be responsible for analysis of programs including performance, diagnosis and troubleshooting of programs problems, and designing solutions.
● Be responsible for development of new programs, analyzes current programs and processes, and making recommendations which yield a more cost effective product.
● Write, edit, test and debug new computer programs for assigned projects, including necessary records and desired output.
● Code documents consistently throughout the development process by listing a description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made in database tables on procedural, modular and database level.
● Be responsible for adopting and utilizing tools and equipment involved in performance of essential functions of programming including measuring instruments.
● Make presentations to customer or client audiences or professional peers.
● Be responsible for communicating with system engineers and manufacturer's technical support staff regarding programming needs and performance.
● Research and recommend software tools to management.
● Provide assistance to testers and support personnel as needed to determine system problems.
● Provide recommendations to management concerning issues of programmer productivity and software development management.
● Maintains strong and positive interactions with the customer.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
● Min. 3 years' experience in the design and development of complex software architectures.
● Sound knowledge of Software Engineering discipline, processes and CMMI principles.
● Fluency in Italian and English.
● Degree in computer engineering , telecommunication engineering, computer science or equivalent experience.
● Ability to manage Customer and Suppliers relationships.
● Strong and effective inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff.
● Specific technical competencies will be appreciated and evaluated in particular relevant to:
• Ability to take a problem algorithm, develop appropriate source code and create relative applications
• Required experience in Supervision (monitoring and control) System Development
• Required knowledge of OSGi, JPA, SpringBoot
• Required knowledge of WebServices development
• Required knowledge of relational DB
• Required knowledge of modular application development
• Required knowledge multithreading application development
• Required knowledge of version control systems like Git, SVN, CVS
• Preferred competencies in System/Software architecting
• Preferred knowledge of networking
• Desired knowledge in Linux OS
• Desired knowledge in Traffic Management System for Railways
• Knowledge of SW Configuration Management tools (GIT/Jira)
• Knowledge of Requirements Management tools (DOORS)
• Knowledge of Continuous Integration tools (Jenkins and related qualimetry tools)
• Required knowledge of standard protocols such as SNMP, Modbus, OPC, HTTP, etc
• Experience in Agile approach
• Knowledge of bash shell programming and GNU/Linux command line tools (sed, awk, grep, ecc.)
• Knowledge of networking
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!