Location: Crawley, United Kingdom
In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our architects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow's possible.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
UK Service Operations - Through Life Support Engineering (TLSE)
- Service Design involves an integrated approach to the design of experiences and systems and requires the integration of multiple design disciplines in a systems-based solution providing a deep understanding of the technological, commercial and organisational context in the conception and execution of innovative services as well as the tools, techniques and methods required in the practice of service design.
- Its overarching goal is to enable strategic as well as an operations level in the design of services, leading interdisciplinary design teams in the design and deployment of innovative services in the defence, business, consumer and public sector.
- Through Life Support Engineering (TLSE) is a holistic life cycle process that supports service design through the combination of management and engineering actions necessary to assure effective and economical through-life support of a system or capability are accomplished as an integral part of the acquisition and through life support process.
- The SSA will be required to have a sound knowledge of service management, associated frameworks and a thorough understanding of all service lifecycles and associated in life support capabilities. The role will involve working with internal and external stakeholders and making use of the relevant service lifecycle subject matter experts to establish a service solution that is both fit for purpose and fit for use.
The purpose of a Services Solution Architect (SSA) is to:
- Engage professionally with potential clients, articulate the value of service design and service solutions to their business.Identify their needs and influence their requirements through proposals, white papers and dialogue.
- Work collaboratively within campaigns and assist in the development of capture plans alongside sales & marketing and within the customer space to develop customer service solutions.
- Create user and business value in services design and deliver architecture for service provision that ensures consistent delivery and excellent user experience.
- Provide expert advice to shape the development of systems/equipment, and develop their support strategy, for optimal through-life cost and customer experience
- Provide expert advice to identify and develop transversal enablers and capabilities.
- Provide expert solutions to long-term or through-life support bids and programmes into customers, internal bid and/or programme managers.
- The SSA provides expertise and inspiration in solving problems within these and allied areas across business segments.
Core Tasks and Responsibilities
- Own and deliver complex service solutions
- Look for value creation outside the companies’ boundaries and adopt the customer’s perspective
- Leading as service solution architect shaping opportunities with clients, capture leads, programme managers and bid teams in order to create a winning solution that supports the value proposition.
- Leading Thales service solutions in line with Chorus 2.0 PDCS whilst consulting and informing solution stakeholders throughout.
- Producing compelling proposal documentation, throughout full sales lifecycle, owning Chorus 2.0 8.1 PDCS elements of the prospect.
- Producing multiple level service solution architecture and associated processes using proven tools and best practice design techniques that align to the customers service requirements.
- Collaborate with Systems, Network and other Thales Solution Architects depending on the complexity of the solution to develop a robust service solution.
- Drawing on existing service lifecycle resources to contribute to the overall service solution – i.e Modelling, ILS, Obsolescence Management.
- Ensuring best practice service transition is adhered to when testing and deploying products or systems into service delivery.
- Producing holistic service management documentation that can be understood by service delivery teams for in life support.
- Ensure knowledge transfer of the service solution is in place from conception of the bid into service delivery.
- Apply applicable aspects of governance and compliance in accordance with Thales Group/Thales UK policy and Chorus 2.
- Contribute and advise as a senior bid stakeholder to the risks and opportunities register whilst ensuring and service related risks and mitigations are adopted by service delivery.
- Ensure that the risks and opportunities associated with the solutions are identified, communicated and, where practicable, mitigated.
- Ensure that any assumptions and dependencies associated with the solutions are identified, recorded and maintained.
- Develop good working relationships with Customers, partners and Primes.
Project Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
The role will additionally need project specific skills and experience to enable the development of solutions in support of key bids and projects in support of particular markets and business areas.
Desirable Skills and Experience Required
- Support Solutions
- Engineering Management
- Obsolescence Engineering
- Comp Eng
- Asset Management
- Systems Thinking
- Tech Author
- Tech Illustrator
- Field Support
- Test Methods Eng
- Design Safety
- Support to Bids
- Support to Bids
- Estimating Skills
- Risk and Opportunity Management
- Work Package Management
- People Management
- Functional management
Qualifications and Experience
- Extensive experience of the User Community.
- Service Design Experience
- Customer requirement capture and value benefit realisation Experience
- Technical background
- Good numerical skills
- Previous Technical Team leadership
Upon reasonable notice being given and in accordance with local working agreements, individuals will need to be mobile / flexible enough to visit other sites both in the UK and internationally.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!