In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our architects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow's possible.
System Safety Authority
At our headquarters in Hengelo, The Netherlands, advanced radar and combat management systems are being developed. During the next years, Thales will be delivering several large projects to for example the German Navy where, besides Thales content, a significant part will be subcontracted to partner companies.
About the job
System safety is an important and integral part of the design process of our high-end products and system-of-systems projects. In your role as a senior system safety authority you will be responsible for the overall coordination of system safety activities in a large project context.
Your main objective as an authority is to lead and manage all necessary activities to meet the contractual and legal safety obligations for a large navy project for our German customer. You will be the general point of contact for safety matters for the customer, for a dozen subcontractors and for the Thales Naval development organization. You are able to assess safety related requirements and risks, and are able to assess residual risks of all contributors involved and to act when necessary.
You will be interacting with the customer and subcontractors regularly to discuss and align safety matters. Your risk-based project management and communication skills enable you to connect with all stakeholders efficiently, and you feel confident when communicating in the German language.
Your experience allows you to adequately assess and face all safety related challenges that come with a large project. Your knowledge of and experience with (functional) safety methods, standards and legislation (preferably in a German context) have been well developed during your previous assignments in your career. Your enthusiasm and expertise will stimulate the team to further develop itself.
You will be reporting to the program manager.
The main tasks are:
• Set-up, maintain and execute the safety management plan;
• Interact with the customer regarding project safety matters (progress, explaining, negotiations);
• Manage subcontractors regarding allocated system safety responsibilities;
• Align safety-related activities in the Thales Naval organization;
• Report, advise and decide on integral safety issues in the project;
• Manage the overall safety case and make sure the project’s safety file gets complete.
The role allows you to further develop your project management and safety engineering skills. Since Thales in Hengelo is a large organization, future career switches might be possible.
We are searching for a colleague who:
• Has a relevant master or polytechnic engineering degree;
• Has at least 5 years experience as a safety manager, preferably in a complex product engineering context;
• Is certified by TÜV Rheinland or has comparable certified expertise;
• Masters risk-based integral project management;
• Is familiar with system engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, software engineering and system/software verification principles;
• Is experienced in applying German safety standards and legislation;
• Is familiar with international safety standards and legislations like IEC 61508, IEC 62368, IEC 60950, EN MIL-STD-882, DEF-STAN, CE, REACh;
• Has the ability to see the big picture, and is capable of interacting with all engineering disciplines;
• Has well-developed analytical and conceptual skills;
• Has good communication and persuasive skills to effectively interact with customers, subcontractors and management;
• The ability to communicate clearly in German and English (Dutch is an advantage);
What's in it for you
• Become part of a great team in a high tech, innovative international organization
• (International) opportunities for growth in tech-, management- and commercial roles
• Attention for personal development and own initiative
• A nice workplace in a modern building, where we value a good work-life balance and flexibility
• 40 leave days per year, travel expenses and a flexible benefits à la carte package with options like purchase/sale of leave hours, internet costs, bicycle plan, company fitness, trade union contribution or relocation costs
Apply now! Click on the button below to upload your profile and show your interest.
To ensure that we are a good match, we can ask you to participate in an assessment.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!