Location: Harwell Oxford, United Kingdom
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
As part of the system team, working with the Assembly, Test and Integration team, the candidate will support the functional integration of the Microcarb satellite in Harwell. The candidate will support both functional/electrical integration of the avionics test bench representing the latest Myriade platform as well as the integration of flight hardware of the spacecraft, functional testing, environmental test campaign up to end testing at launch site
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
Reporting to the Systems Engineering Manager, the main duties will include:
- Work in a small team environment to plan and perform Electrical/Avionics system integration and test activities for the Microcarb satellite
- Perform data interpretation (measurement and telemetry), assessment, and analysis of integrated electrical/avionics systems
- Create technical documentation including test procedure, test report
- Perform problem investigation (NCRs)
- Communicate risks, issues and solutions to peers with various technical backgrounds and areas of expertise.
- Participate to daily AIT meetings, TRR, TRB, NRB, etc.
- Support environmental test at satellite level
- Support satellite launch campaign
Values & Behaviors:
- Being accountable and motivated.
- Being proactive and autonomous.
- Build cooperative relationships to achieve project goals.
Qualifications & skills:
- Degree in engineering with ideally electrical background
- Experience in satellite avionics and protocols (RS4xx, MIL 1553, Spacewire)
- Experience in flight hardware test/integration
- Knowledge of S/C database management would be an asset
- Knowledge of coding language (TCL) would be an asset
- Experience in launch campaign would be an asset
The position will be based at the TAS-UK Harwell office but up to 10% of work may need to be conducted at subcontractor’s or customer premises, typically in UK or Europe.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!