Location: Firenze, Italy
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily.
Sesto Fiorentino is the Headquarter of Thales Italia. It hosts two Domains: Ground Transportation Systems (GTS) and Security (SIX). The activity of GTS domain: Security systems, telecommunications, supervision, control & management information and signalling solutions for trains, trams and metros Regarding railway solutions, Thales is the homologated supplier of Rete Ferroviaria Italiana for Axel Counters, Tunnel Security, Energy Saving, SCADA systems and Asset Management. Italy is Thales Group’s competence centre for tramway signalling solutions. The activity of SIX domain: mission critical solutions and applications for assets and citizens security (supervision, control and information management systems) as well as cybersecurity. Thales offers solutions to protect the information systems and critical data of its civilian and military customers and helps its customers to detect and prevent cyberattacks by devising secure architectures from the design stage, overseeing these architectures and ensures that they are kept in secure working order. Italy is Thales Group’s competence centre for Airport security and operations management solutions.
The candidate will work for the Transportation projects, where the safety of people and environment is a key element of the project. The candidate at Thales will manage Safety activities along the project lifecycle, in an international environment and for relevant Thales Projects, in order to get the final system approval by the customer, the ISA (Independent Safety Assessor) and in general any Safety Authority in charge of the solution safety approval.
• be responsible for all technical safety activities: identifying and analyzing the Safety requirements (Contractual and System Requirements), defining the safety strategy, allocating the Safety requirements to the subsystem components, assuring their implementation in the solutions, and interfacing the Relevant Safety Authority for the project.
• be responsible for the conformity to Safety requirements, and to provide the final evidence of their fulfillment;
• plan, control and coordinate all project Safety activities;
• understand the basic safety concepts and safety design principles (checked-redundant, diversity, fail-safe, safety integrity, common mode and common cause failures, etc).
• ensure SIL requirements and their allocation to subsystems/components, providing the risk analysis if necessary;
• provide hazard log management, including consolidation of hazards, traceability to requirements, design, verification and validation evidence;
• assure Safety requirements during the deployment/installation and site acceptance activities;
• define in the Safety Plan the technical activities to be performed during the project, and propose the relevant organization according to the CENELEC norms;
• be the main technical interface in front of the Safety Authority (ISA or customer);
• participate to Program/Project Meetings (internal and external: with the Customer, Thales subcontractors and other entities) when scheduled and/or requested;
• give evidence that the solution meets the defined Safety requirements from a quantitative and a qualitative point of view;
• enforce the proposed evidence of safety with reference to different standards, if needed, as MIL-HDB and IEC.
• allocate and co-ordinate the resources working on Safety project activities;
• give evidence of the fulfillment of the Norms requirements in relation to the V&V activities;
• provide the solution Safety Case according to the CENELEC standard (Generic Application, Specific Application, Generic Product);
• support the Project Manager in preparing the Safety delivery;
• evaluate, from a safety point of view, all the technical documentation to be submitted to the Customer;
• define main criteria for the safety acceptance of the solution.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
• Master Degree in Electronic, Telecommunication or Computer Science Engineering
• Fluency in Italian and English
• Proven experience in the safety assurance of systems in projects for Italian Railways market or preferably in metro/urban solution in an international environment
• Proven knowledge of Applicable Norms and Regulations for Italian Railway environment and in general for the international metro and tramway environment (CENELEC, STI, IEC)
• Min. 7 years’ experience in the safety management of Safety Critical/Related Transportation programs/projects
• Able to build manage effectively the relationship with Customer and Supplier
• Experience in safety assurance of system/solutions in international environment
Knowledge of Safety analysis methodologies, related Norms and tools:
• Safety Techniques: Functional Analysis, FMECA, FTA,SCIL, DRACAS, PHA, SHA, SSHA, IHA, O&SHA, Hazard Log, Safety Case, HAZOP;
• Communication, SCADA and Signalling systems including ATP/ATC systems;
• Reliability software as Reliasoft, Isograph, or other;
• RAMS documentation and Lifecycle according to CENELEC 50126;
• Risk evaluation, Safety Management and SIL apportionment according CENELEC 50129;
• Methodologies for SW Verification and Validation according to CENELEC 50128.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!