Location: Crawley, United Kingdom
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
In this role you will be part of a highly collaborative team delivering critical defence programmes such as the next generation Electronic Warfare (EW) solution to the Royal Navy, which provides sovereign Electronic Warfare fleet protection for the UK.
As the Lead Validation and Verification Systems Engineer you will play a vital role in planning and delivering the Verification, Validation and Qualification approach supporting acceptance of the solution by the Customer. This is an excellent opportunity to consolidate your Validation and Verification Systems Engineering experience on some of the Royal Navy’s flagship Surface Ships programmes
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
The role of Lead Validation and Verification Engineer is varied but you can expect to be involved in any number of activities including:
- Planning and leading all aspects of the IVVQ activity (including liaison with external test/qualification houses where appropriate) throughout the whole life cycle including elements of internal Product IVVQ which will support project delivery.
- Ensuring that the IVVQ activities are aligned to the overall Project Plan and are delivered in line with the agreed Project cost, quality and schedule constraints.
- Leading the IVVQ team (following contract award) to collaborate with the other system engineering teams and with key sub-contractors to successfully execute the plan
- Organising relevant engineering reviews and ensuring that these are professionally executed in line with Thales and Industry standard guidelines and any actions are implemented in a timely manner.
- Ensuring the delivery of qualification and verification data to support required accreditation and certification
Skills and Experience:
- Strong leadership skills and interpersonal soft skills; able to drive the establishment of a proactive and dynamic team culture where all team members are encouraged and supported to operate to their full capability.
- A sound understanding of System Engineering principles and of the IVVQ activities and objectives
- A structured and organised approach to team management and communication
- Demonstrable experience in IVVQ management
- Strong engineering background in a complex systems development environment
- Obtaining customer acceptance on complex Projects (including sub-contracted requirement acceptance)
- Managing technical and engineering change across internal stakeholders
- Good overall Systems, Software and Hardware integration experience
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!